Here’s another way to get from forward grip, to backhand, with a flick of the wrist.
1. Start in the backhand grip, open position. Turn your wrist into the body a little.
2. Bring the index and middle fingers around the handle, just above the thumb, and………
3. ……in the same motion, flick the wrist forward and clear the thumb out of the way.
4. To add stability to the finish, “plant” the thumb directly opposite the index finger, just above the ring finger.
5. To return, bring the middle, ring finger, and pinky around the handle and………
6. ….push forward with the middle, ring finger, and pinky, while pulling the wrist back and clearing the thumb.
8. …..and you’re back in the starting position.
With a little practice you’ll be able to go from, say, a forward stab, to a stab behind you, in the blink of an eye.